The DCA is offering temporary rental assistance (limited funds so will be a lottery for selection) for households impacted by COVID. COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (CVERAP) applications are online only. Enrollment Period is Monday, July 6, 2020, at 9:00 am until Friday, July 10, 2020, at 5:00 pm. See below for a list of requirements and to apply visit https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dhcr/offices/cverap.html.
The COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (CVERAP) will provide temporary rental assistance to low- and moderate-income households that have had a substantial reduction in income or became unemployed due the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants may be eligible for a maximum of up to six months of emergency rental assistance. The assistance will be capped at DCA’s fair market rent standard or the total of the rent, whichever is lesser. All participants will be reviewed at the three-month interval to see if they are still in need of assistance. Persons applying must meet all applicable CVERAP income and eligibility requirements. You must be eighteen (18) years of age or older to apply or be an emancipated minor. Only one (1) pre-application per household will be accepted. All participants will be selected through an online lottery process.
Anyone selected for the program must meet the following requirements:
- Have a gross, annual household income that is at or below the maximum income limits for the county where they are residing
- Be a New Jersey resident and rent a unit in New Jersey
- Rent must be current as of March 2020; this program will not assist with arrears
- Have a substantial reduction in income or are currently receiving unemployment due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Have a lack of assets and savings to pay rent
- Will pay a minimum of 30 percent of their income towards the rent
- Anyone currently receiving a subsidy from another rental assistance program or living in Public Housing is ineligible