Neighborhood Revitalization serves more families by responding to community aspirations with an expanded array of products, services and partnerships, empowering residents to revive their neighborhoods and enhance the quality of life.
For families to succeed, sometimes the dynamics of their neighborhood have to change. Neighborhood Revitalization is a holistic approach that expands Habitat’s traditional partnership with new homeowners and volunteers to include neighbors and local organizations for a far greater impact. While new home construction continues to play a vital role, a bigger toolbox that includes repairs and other services allows Habitat to serve more families. Neighborhood Revitalization starts at the grassroots level — with people in the community determining the goals for their neighborhood.
Habitat for Humanity in Monmouth County will facilitate partnerships between residents, community organizations and agencies to help residents bring about the changes they want to see in their community. The Neighborhood Revitalization Program offers three categories of assistance:
Revitalizing communities through improvements to the exteriers of homes.
- General cleaning (trash removal, cleaning of exterior)
- Landscaping (clearing brush, trimming shrubbery)
Helping homeowners age safely and securely in the comfort of their own homes
- Accessibility improvements (wheelchair ramps, exterior handrails)
- Interior modifications (grab bars, added lighting, flush thresholds)
Targeted Local Assistance
Supporting municipal efforts to empower the community to make positive changes through the development of a comprehensive neighborhood revitalization plan
- Identify local stakeholders (organizations, businesses, residents, other local entities) and develop a community-wide coalition
- Conduct neighborhood surveys to identify neighborhood needs
- Develop a community driven neighborhood revitalization plan
- Initiate community-based projects (clean ups)
- Identify funding sources to implement plans
Habitat for Humanity in Monmouth County will facilitate partnerships between residents, community organizations and agencies to help residents bring about the changes they want to see in their community. A wide array of housing services can be tapped to help transform communities in need, such as:
Habitat for Humanity is just one part of a community-wide solution. Collaboration between residents and local groups is an essential ingredient of Neighborhood Revitalization.